Hughie Duvall Hunt, II is the founding partner of Kemet & Hunt. Heading the firm’s civil litigation group,Mr. Hunt, a former GTE Academic All-American football standout at Georgia Southern University proved to be a formidable force both on and off the field. Selected by the then Georgia Governor Zell Miller in 1995, Hunt was the first African-American from his undergraduate institution to serve as the Governor’s Honors Intern for the District Attorney’s Office of Bulloch County. He graduated from Georgia Southern University in 1996, obtaining a Bachelor of Business Administration in Economics and then graduating from the George Washington Law School in 1996 and beginning his law career in the state of Maryland.
Continuing to be a trailblazer, in 2006-2007, Mr. Hunt was selected as Chair of the Young Lawyers Section of the Maryland State Bar Association, becoming the first African American in the history of the Maryland State Bar Association to hold this position. He has also served on the Executive Committee and Board of Governors for the MSBA.
During 2007-2008, Mr. Hunt served as the American Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Division District Representative for the District of Columbia and Delaware. He served on the Board of Directors for the Maryland Bar Foundation and Mr. Hunt continues to serve as a member of the Fee Dispute Committee Maryland Bar Association.
In 2010, he was selected by the Daily Record as a Top 40 professionals under 40 and in 2011 and 2012, he was selected as a rising star by Super Lawyers, and in 2011, as a Top Young Attorney by Baltimore Magazine. Continuing his tradition of excellence, in 2017, he was named a Top 100 lawyer by the National Black lawyers, a Top 10 Family Law Lawyer by the National Academy of lawyers. In 2020, he was named a Top Ten lawyer in Business Torts, by the National Trial Lawyers, a Top Ten Personal Injury Lawyer, by the National Academy of Personal Injury Lawyers, a SuperLawyer in Maryland and DC by Thomson Reuters, and he maintains and A+ Premier Rating, by the National Registry.
Mr. Hunt is fluent in Spanish, and has studied abroad in Costa Rica and in Guatemala. An avid traveler, Hunt has also visited South Africa, Germany, Honduras, Canada, Honduras, Panama, Columbia, Nicaragua, Ecuador, Uruguay, Argentina, the Dominican Republic, Mexico, Belize, Jamaica, Aruba, Puerto Rico and over 40 of the States in the Union. He also holds a black belt in Tae Kwon Do.
He is a member of the Maryland State Bar Association, the Bar Association of the District of Columbia, and the Georgia Bar Associations. He is admitted to practice in the State of Maryland, District of Columbia, and the state of Georgia, in both the federal and state courts. He is also admitted to the Court of Federal Claims, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court.
- Civil Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- 2022 America’s Top 50 Lawyers in America
- 2022 Top Lawyer in Maryland, Published by Baltimore Magazine
- 2022 Super Lawyer MD
- 2022 Super Lawyer, DC
- 2021 Super Lawyer DC
- Super Lawyers Maryland 2021
- America’s Top 100 Personal Injury Lawyers 2020
- 2020 A+ Premier Lawyer, National Registry
- 2020 Super Lawyers MD
- 2020 Super Lawyers DC
- 2020 National Trial Lawyers Business Tort Top Ten
- 2020 National Academy of Personal Injury Lawyers, Top Ten
- 2019 National Black Lawyers Top 100
- 2017 National Black Lawyers Top 100
- 2017 National Academy of Family Law Lawyers, Top 10 Family Law
- 2013 Superlawyers Rising Stars DC MD
- 2011 Top Young Attorneys, Baltimore Magazine
- 2010 Daily Record VIP successful by 40
- BBA Economics with an emphasis in International Business, Georgia Southern University, 1996
- JD, George Washington University Law School, 1999
- District of Columbia Bar
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Prince George’s County Bar Association
- State Bar of Georgia
Getting to know Hughie
- From Cleveland Ohio and a big Ohio State Buckeye Fan
- Went to the Big Ten Championship Game – Ohio State vs Wisconsin, and Fiesta Bowl, Ohio State vs Clemson in 2019.
- Avid Cook, using the Sous Vide Method and Kamado Grill.
- Has fought in Competitive Taekwondo Tournaments.